Grants to help young people pursue their sporting dreams
Young people find it difficult to meet the ongoing and significant costs associated with participation at sporting competitions, particularly those from regional areas.
The Local Sporting Champions program is an Australian Government initiative designed to provide financial assistance for young people aged 12-18 towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at an official national sporting organisation (NSO) endorsed state or national sporting championships or a School Sport Australia national championships.
Who is eligible?
The Local Sporting Champions program is designed to support young people participating in state and national level sporting competitions as either an athlete, coach, umpire or referee.
To be eligible for a Local Sporting Champions grant, young people must meet the following criteria:
- be between 12 and 18 years of age at the time of the nominated sporting championship
- be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in an official state or national level sporting championships, endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia
- be required to travel greater than 250km (including return trip) to participate in the nominated championship
- be an Australian citizen
- not be the recipient of another Local Sporting Champions grant, whether as an individual or a member of a team, during the current financial year
- not have received funding from other government sources for the nominated championship
- not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money
- have submitted a completed application form prior to the championship commencing.
What is the value of the individual and team grants?
Grants of $500 will be available for successful individual applicants, and $3000 for successful team applications.
What are the grants intended for?
Each grant can contribute towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment for the nominated national sporting organisation endorsed state or national sporting championships, or national school sport championships.
When can people apply for a Local Sporting Champions program grant?
The application process is a rolling process, whereby young people can apply for a grant at any time throughout the year. Grants will be assessed three times each year. Individuals and teams are only eligible to receive one grant per financial year.
CONGRATULATIONS to Previous Pony Club Recipients:
Amber Kaveney - Young Pony Club, Zone 2 (2010-11)
Shannon Breen - Canberra Riding Club, Zone 16 (2009-10)
For further details check out the website;